Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Back to the Routine!

Whew! Today is the first day being back on the good ol' routine. I use that term lightly because with with my husband on shift work our "routine" changes weekly. Anyway...girls are back in school, the little man is at the sitter's and I'm in my house ALONE. It's the first time in I don't know how long and it feels pretty good I must say. We had a very blessed Christmas and New Year's! While my husband read part of the Christmas story from Luke 2 at our church's Christmas Eve Candlelight service, I was upstairs in the "mother's with crying babies room" except I was a mother with a fit-throwing 3 year old and we actually ran off the infants who were just a little fussy. Anyhoo...I heard most of it and I was proud of Rob for getting up there in front of all those people.

Rob's parents and my mom and sister all live nearby so we don't have to travel for Christmas. We had a wonderful Christmas and the highlight of the morning was the girls opening their wii. We knew which box it was and put a secret code on it so that Rob could have the video camera going when they opened it.... Another highlight was watching the girls open what they got one another. When they pick out and pay for the gift themselves it is such a blessing to watch them light up when the other one says, "Oh....I LOVE it....it's just what I wanted.....thank you." Watching the joy of giving blossom in your kids is a beautiful thing.

I only worked Monday and Tuesday the last two weeks giving me two 5 day "weekends." It was wonderful. Rob's long weekend fell over New Year's so we took off to the mountains. I'll update this post with photos from the office this afternoon if I get time. We rented a snowmobile and had a blast sledding and spending some time in the outdoors. After a very early and long stretch of below zero weather we all wanted to enjoy some sunshine.

Lacey starts basketball practice today which will make long days for her again. Schedules will start going crazy soon with some travel commitments that I have coming up in Feb and March. I am praying for a peace and calm around our home and in our hearts. So much of the chaos is self-inflicted and I know that. Not planning meals in advance, not looking at the weeks schedule in advance and not making car pooling arrangments with other mom's when I have a conflict. This can be done and it an be done a lot better than I have been doing it. A friend of mine who is now an empty nester said to me yesterday..."what are you going to do when all three kids are invloved in different sports and activites at three different schools." Let's just say I didn't a very intelligent answer.

No comments: